Fortis Mining Engineering and Manufacturing offers a wide range of services, including a full service CNC Machine Shop. The Fortis Machine shop is driven by quality; Fortis has highly skilled and experienced Journey persons and machinists that create custom machined and rebuilt products.
Fortis Commercial Machining services include machining steel, iron, brass, bronze, stainless, and plastics. Fortis also offers a diverse range of inventory sizes in 4140, 1018, and aluminum to ensure quick deliveries. The shop is responsible for fabricating all Mining Attachments for Northern Strands.
Further information about attachments available can be found here: https://www.northernstrands.com/attachments.aspx
The Fortis Machine Shop capabilities includes:
Lathes Swing Diameter Up to 22' (560 mm)
Distance between centers Up to 80' (200 mm)
Vertical Matching Centers X x Y x Z Up to 40" x 20" x 28"
Up to 1,000 mm x 500 mm x 700 mm
CNC Band Saw Max Cutting (round or square) 12" (300 mm)
Max Cutting (rectangle) 12" x 16" (300 mm x 400 mm)
Along with the Machine Shop capabilities, Fortis Mining Engineering and Manufacturing also has a a CWB Welding Certified Fabrication Shop. The Fortis commercial and industrial welding shop offers excellent quality products with a team of CWB Certified Journeyperson welders and fabricators.
The Commercial Fabrication shop is capable of fabricating all customer requests and is able to provide custom fabrication with backup from engineers, machinists, and pull testing departments. Fortis is CWB Certified in steel and has 3 level 1 weld inspectors.
Fortis has completed work for the mining industry, agricultural industries, construction industries. Jobs have also been completed for large companies including Nutrien, BHP, K+S, Mosaic, and many more.
For additional information on all of Fortis' services & capabilities, click the following:
Fortis Engineering & Manufacturing Inc. has successfully been audited by an expert third party certifier for ISO Quality Management System (QMS) and is pleased to announce that it meets all the requirements of ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001-2016, and ISO 45001-2018 and are certified to these Standards.
Contact Fortis Mining Engineering Manufacturing
802, 57th Street East
Saskatoon, SK S7K 5Z1
Hours of Operation: 7:30am to 5:00pm Mon – Fri
Fax: (306) 242-3713
Request for Quotation:
Request for Proposal:
Sales (Customer Purchase Orders):
- A new International Standards (formally OHSAS 18001) that specifies requirements for an Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) management system, to enable Fortis to proactively improve OH&S performance in preventing injury and ill-health. Fortis is one of the first companies in Canada to achieve this Standard
ISO 45001-18 demonstrates that Fortis is committed to improve OH&S performance by:
- Developing and implementing an OH&S policy and OH&S objectives
- Establishing systematic processes which consider its "context" and which consider its risks and opportunities, legal, and other requirements
- Determining the hazards and OH&S risks associated with its activities; seeking to eliminate them, or putting in controls to minimize their potential effects
- Establishing operational controls to manage its OH&S risks and its legal and other requirements
ISO 9001-15 demonstrates that Fortis is committed to:
- Total quality management
- Customer focus
- A continuous improvement process approach implemented throughout the organization
- Critical processes and their interactions are understood and documented
- A strong management commitment to all these facets of the ISO 9001
- Integrating Risk Management into all aspects of the business
- Environmental Management System (EMS) is a systematic framework to manage the immediate and long-term environmental impacts of Fortis' products, services, and processes. Through Certification in this Standard, Fortis can assure stakeholders that our environmental management system meets international industry specific environmental standards.
ISO 14001-2016 demonstrates that Fortis is committed to:
- Minimize the environmental footprint
- Diminish the risk of pollution incidents
- Provide operational improvements
- Ensure compliance with relevant environmental legislation
- Develop their business in a sustainable manner
- Identify cost savings with greater emphasis on resource, waste, and energy management
- Increasing awareness of OH&S risks
- Evaluating its OH&S performance and seeking to improve it, by taking appropriate actions
- Ensuring workers take an active role in OH&S matters
Fortis Mining Engineering and Manufacturing recently completed a job that required both engineering, manufacturing, and fabrication services. Searching for an efficient and safer alternative to transport reels, Fortis Mining Engineering and Manufacturing was tasked with creating a Reel Winder Trailer to fit specific client needs.
There are many unique specifications that the client required Fortis Mining Engineering and Manufacturing to adhere to to ensure the success of the Reel Winder Trailer.
The location that the reels were to be moved is very narrow. Therefore, the Reel Winder Trailer had to be engineered to move through this space, while still allowing for the pick up of different sizes of reels from diameter to width.
The engineered Reel Winder Trailer is narrow and capable of picking up various sizes of reels up to a maximum capacity of 21 tons using hydraulic auxiliary outlets.
Wire rope, plastic, pipe, and numerous other products that come on a reel can be transported using the Reel Winder Trailer. Fortis Mining Engineering and Manufacturing was able to successfully meet the client's specific and unique needs in order to provide a superior solution for reel transport.
For more information on custom solutions and services, please contact Fortis Mining Engineering and Manufacturing.
Phone: (306) 242-4427
Toll Free: (844) 542-2247
Designed by Fortis, the Retrieval Skid Platform was created with a series of snatch blocks for the retrieval of heavy equipment including Scoop Trams and other various machines in underground conditions where the drift or passage has collapsed and machine is unable to drive out with its own power. The Skid Platform is designed to increase the power output by a factor of 8 and decrease the pull speed by the same factor of 8. The Retrieval Skid Platform successfully extracted a scoop out of a drift at a Northern Cameco Uranium mine. The previous method of extractions would have typically involved bolting d-plates to the wall. The Retrieval Skid Platform increases the safety of equipment retrieval and has low failure rates.
Fortis Mining, Engineering &
Manufacturing was recently contracted by SaskPower to complete a comprehensive
Lifting Lug & Monorail Remediation project at the Shand Power Station. The project
consisted of multiple components including: 1) inspecting, load testing and
certifying existing lifting lugs and monorails within the plant to bring them
to current client and occupational health and safety standards; 2) adding or
modifying supporting structural steel to existing lifting lugs and monorails
followed by the load testing and certification of the device; and 3)
Installation of new lifting devices and monorails including all supporting
structural steel installations, load testing and certifying of the new lifting
devices. The total project consisted of
244 items including 219 Lifting Lugs and 25 Monorails. This included 18 New
Lifting Lug Installations, the inspection and testing of 184 existing lugs, the
installation of 9 new monorails, and the inspection, testing, and painting of
15 existing monorails.
of the project execution, Fortis was responsible for completing all structural
detailing, providing certified shop and erection drawings, fabrication of all
structural steel, installation of all structural steel and lifting devices,
load testing of all components, and generating test reports and turnover
documentation for the client. Fortis also designed and fabricated custom sized
weld and bolt-on lifting lugs in-house for the project to suit applicable site
standards and colour coding.
ensure quality of products provided an Inspection Test Plan was developed to
ensure compliance to applicable standards and specifications. Fortis also
developed a comprehensive digital and physical turnover package including all
relevant company and personnel certifications, project registers, executed ITP
and check sheets, as-built/redline drawings, procedures and manuals, and all
other quality documentation compiled.
Mining Engineering and Manufacturing has achieved and maintained ISO 9001
Quality Management, 14001 Environmental Management and OHSAS 18001 Health &
Safety Management Certifications.